Venison, spinach, mushrooms…I’d call this one healthy version of a cinnabon!
To Make the Breakfast Sausage:
1 lb ground venison
2 tsp fresh sage
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
To Make the Venison-a-bons:
1 lb of venison breakfast sausage
1 C. sliced mushrooms
3/4 C. diced onion
3 C. fresh baby spinach
1/2 C. shredded Cheddar cheese
1 package (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza dough
1/2 C. Cream Cheese “Frosting”
1/4 C. diced jalapenos (optional)
- Prepare the venison breakfast sausage by mixing spices to the ground meat and browning.
- Set aside 2 cups sausage mixture in large bowl; reserve remaining sausage for another use.
- In a medium skillet, cook the onion and mushrooms on medium heat until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add spinach to skillet; stir to wilt spinach.
- Add vegetable mixture to venison and set aside 20 to 25 minutes to cool completely, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Unroll pizza dough on flat surface. Pat or roll dough evenly to 14 x 10-inch rectangle, pinching together any tears, if necessary.
- Spread sausage mixture on dough, leaving 1/2 inch border on short side furthest from you.
- Starting at closest short end, roll up like a jelly-roll, pinching to close. Slice dough into 8 pieces using a serrated knife and careful sawing motion and place on greased baking sheet.
- Bake in 425°F oven 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove buns. While still warm, drizzle with melted cream cheese “frosting” and top with diced jalapenos if you desire. You may need to thin cream cheese with a little bit of milk.