These are easy to make and everyone I have ever served them to loved them. You can use sweet banana peppers, hot banana peppers, or jalapeno peppers in this recipe. I use some of each so even people who do not like hot peppers ( there are some out there ) can also enjoy some along with the people sweating!! The recipe calls for wrapping them in bacon, but I have made them with out the bacon wrap and they are still very good. We all know bacon makes everything taste better, but don’t let being out of bacon stop you from making these. I have a large garden and grow all my own peppers. We eat these fresh in the summer, but I use frozen peppers so we can eat them all year long. When using frozen peppers, just let them defrost while you are cooking your meat and they work great, they even cook faster on grille when they have been frozen…
Submitted by Joanne A.
– 12-24 peppers (depending on the size, if you have small peppers you can fill close to 24)
– 2 pounds ground venison
– One large onion diced
– 1/2 pound ( 8 oz. package) shredded cheddar cheese ( I prefer sharp, use medium if you don’t like sharp–its still wonderful)
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 1 pound of bacon
– 24-30 toothpicks
- Cut just the very top off of the peppers and use a spoon to remove the seeds and excess membrane from inside the peppers.
- Brown the ground deer in a large frying pan with the onions till cooked. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and add the cheese. Stir until all the cheese melts. When the mixture is just cool enough to handle, stuff into the peppers.
- Take a slice of bacon and wrap it around the pepper and make sure you cover the opening as you wrap. Secure it with a toothpick. (As I mentioned in the summary, bacon is not necessary).
- Grill over medium to low heat until bacon is nice and cooked, this will cook the pepper also and rewarm up the meat inside. Usually takes 15-20 minutes on medium heat. I get anxious and cook on high, the bacon gets really crispy, the peppers get a little brown, but I get to eat them quicker.