A simplistic gourmet soup that lets the morels take front stage. The rich flavor from morel mushrooms compliments the rich cream base with just some basic spices.
- 2 pounds of washed morels cut into small pieces about ¼”x ¼”
- 4 tablespoons butter (non salted)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- ¾ cup onion minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups half and half
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ tsp tarragon
- ½ tsp thyme
- Using a 5-6 quart heavy based pot, sauté the mushrooms with the butter and olive oil until most of the water from the mushrooms has been released. This is very important as the morels retain quite a bit of water. Once browned, set aside 1 cup of the mushrooms for later.
- Add the stock, onions, garlic, tarragon, and thyme to the pot. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for 10 minutes then remove from heat.
- Using a blender, puree the soup until a smooth consistency.
- Return the soup to the pot and add the half and half along with the reserved mushrooms. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with warm sourdough bread.