John loves the outdoors and believes it’s important to get the youth of this nation outside. He does all he can to instill the love of nature and the outdoors in his 3 kids and wife of 12 years. Together, they spend time hunting, fishing, and foraging just about anything available to them. When at home, John loves cooking wild game for his family and friends, showing them how easy it can be. He also enjoys training his 3-year-old chocolate lab, Zeke for upland and waterfowl. He also can’t turn down a game of cornhole or just about any other competitive outdoor game with his friends.
20 Questions w/John Wallace
- Where are you from? Where do you live now?
I am from the small town of Arcanum, Ohio, now living in Columbia, Missouri.
- If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?
Close to family and friends. If they could get them to move out here with me, Missouri is rich with diverse wildlife any sportsman would be hard pressed to pass.
- What’s your favorite animal to hunt and/or fish to catch?
Right now, my favorite animal to hunt is probably spring turkey. Favorite fish to catch would have to be big “shellcracker” redears down in Florida with my Dad.
- What did you want to be when you were a kid?
I wanted to be a wildlife officer or host of my own fishing show.
- What’s an ideal weekend for you?
Spending time at the camper with my family. Fish biting. Cooking all meals over a nice hot bed of coals.
- What’s your favorite sports team?
THE Ohio State Buckeyes. OH –
- What’s your favorite beer?
Hard to beat a cold Busch Light, but if I’m looking to treat myself, I’ll go for a Shiner Bock or just about any Mexican beer.
- What’s your favorite gun/bow?
Remington 11-87 12ga. It gets the call just about no matter what I am hunting or shooting.
- What’s your favorite wild game meal?
Quick Meal: Deer Tacos. Not as quick: Elk Tenderloin seared in cast iron with brown butter, topped with sautéed garlic, mushrooms and onions.
- Favorite music genre? Artist?
80’s country music. Keith Whitley
- Dog or cat person? Breed? Name of pet?
DOG. Labrador. Zeke!
- What drives you?
Fear of letting someone down.
- Who are your heroes?
My Mom. One of the most strong-willed people I’ve even known. She always treated people with respect. Often putting others’ needs before her own.
- What would you name your boat if you had one?
- Where’d you go to college?
Hocking College (OH) for Fish and Wildlife Management (Associate). West Virginia University for Wildlife and Fisheries Resources (Bachelor’s)
- What TV character would you be?
- What’s your favorite day to hunt?
Sept. 1st (Dove Opener)
- What is the craziest thing you’ve ever done and would you do it again?
Had kids. I’m good with three 🙂
- What’s your biggest pet peeve?
- What’s your favorite piece of Legendary Whitetails apparel?
Buck Camp Flannel. Soft and light (for a flannel).